At present times it is very important to create your own brand in both social and professional front. Whether you are a leader, businessman, student or a job seeker you are always in a competition which demands you to stay ahead of your competitors, otherwise they may get far ahead that it becomes difficult for you to catch up to them.
If you are currently searching for a job or in future you look to work with your dream company; you need to constantly improve your skills and market them. The traditional way of doing so is by the resume or CV and now very fast catching up with the use of social media to promote self as a brand.
Internet is a very powerful tool which has worldwide reach and when used properly is also a very powerful tool to market you and build a brand. The latest trend is using this power of internet and website combine together to help you in personal branding to achieve your goals. Here are few reasons how personal website helps to create a brand of self:
- Helps in Personal Branding– The website is a place where you can put your information. It displays your unique personality in instant visual formats. It is different from social media like Linkedin’s profile which gives you only limited options for profile. Best part being option of customization as per your need. You can develop the content of the website in manner to distinguish yourself from the others. It acts as a powerful tool into your hand which helps you to build your brand and gain wide recognition.
- Alternative to CV/Resume– Forget your traditional two to three pages CV or resume, in the digital age personal website works as the digital portfolio. In CV you have word limits which you cannot exceed. Here you can clearly indicate your strengths with examples which recruiters can easily see and evaluate you for hiring. In place where resumes and CVs are all words; website gives you option of visual and graphical representation of your information giving you better chance to impress the recruiters.
- Better Highlights Your Professional Proficiencies– On a website you can give the complete details of the projects you have handled and the role you played into its completion. This highlights your professional proficiencies which you cannot mention in details into your resume. Also you can highlight your soft skills covering your ability to work in a team, communications skills, negotiation skills and presentation skills etc.
- Be Found By Recruiters– At present about 40% of companies hire by social media. There is a growing trend of more recruiters now hiring through social media. However often it becomes difficult to differentiate and find the right candidate on social media with same or similar name. The websites are always unique and cannot be same or duplicated so chances of confusing with people with similar name is negated.
- Acts a Tie Breaker– At the time of resume screening a Personal website helps make the decision in your favor and gets you a call from the recruiter over other candidates with the same qualification and professional experience.
- Builds Trust- Your resume is often a boring document without much interesting facts mentioned into it. Personal website gives the freedom to mention all the interesting facts about you. One of the qualities Hrs wish to find about you is how you are as a person a quality missing in your resume. This helps build more trust into you as a person and a professional.
- Global Reach– In this vast world one can only survive but cannot grow as a frog in a well. If you wish to achieve big in life you need to reach more people and share your views with them. Personal website offers you opportunity to gain global reach to among the like minded professionals. This can be utilized for professional advancements.
- Stay Abreast With the Future – Having a personal website is a sign that you believe in constant updating yourself. This is one important characteristic of leaders who adopt and adapt to the changing circumstances or market dynamics. In the near future the number of recruitments through digital presence is going to rise dramatically and if you have prepared your personal website you are going to among the early adopters of the technological advancements and have the winning advantage over your competitors.