It is undoubtedly a well-known concept and people are aware of its role and how it aids in making businesses successful. We are talking about SEO (search engine optimisation).
Nonetheless, it’s a time consuming and overwhelming concept that requires a sound strategy in order for it to work effectively. To assist in your pursuit, here are few steps that you can adopt for an effective outcome:
- Improve user engagement to improve rankings – In lay man’s terms, engagement simply means holding the attention of a user. In SEO terms, engagement means the amount of time a spent by someone on a page. There is ample evidence that suggests that sites with strong user engagement are rewarded with higher page ranking. The reason this applies is because a user spends more than a certain amount of time on a page because they found the page worthwhile. This, in turn, provides the user with the best possible result and in turn pushing the sites with strong engagement up in the search engine results pages (SERPs).
- Know your target audience – It isn’t useful if the traffic that’s coming to your website isn’t your target audience. Basically, you’ll be showcasing your website in front of viewers that don’t care. Identifying and understanding your target audience like their preferences, demographics, location, and search patterns etc. can prove effective. Once that has been done, set objectives for that audience – what do they do on the website etc. if this is done appropriately then a chunk of your work is complete.
- Keyword research – Based on the audience, what they do on the website and other such information, you need to perform keyword research. This is a crucial step as it can make or break a strategy. Based on your audience’s personas, create keywords. Creating related keywords is a good tactic too.
- Develop a content marketing strategy – Your content strategy should focus on your top keywords. When blogs posts, whitepapers, videos etc. are created it gives something for people to link to. Additionally, the content created can rank in search engines by itself. Let’s take an example – you write a blog post on the top SEO Company in Delhi, perhaps it will rank for the keywords in the title or body, the ranking will improve if it’s shared on social media and linked to other websites. Also, creating content regularly shows Google that you are active and alive. By the method of sending original and fresh content to Google recurrently, your rankings will improve.
- On-page SEO and site structure – On-Page SEO is a key component that aids search engines to comprehend what your website is about, it is done directly on the website. The prime step is to ensure that search engines are able to traverse your website and seek out all the valuable content. For this to happen, you need to make sure that your website’s internal linking is good with unique content, good navigation and no broken links.
Few ways you can implement this change yourself is through page content, Meta descriptions, title tags, URL structure, headings, loading time on pages, etc.
Quick Tip: On-page SEOs purpose is to make sure that your website is readable by search engines. If your content and structure are easy to comprehend then your website will rank better.
- Link building – Links are the chief factors in how websites are ranked by a search engine. Therefore, you need to craft a plan around all the varied strategies you can do to draw users to your site. Earning links naturally is the best thing – make connections in the industry, connect with your target audience, etc. Remember, your content needs to be relevant and is a major part of this process.
- Mobile website – If you do not have a mobile website, you will lose a significant amount of users and your ranking as well. As the year’s progress, you need to be mobile-ready. Using an app or website on the move is what people are seeking out.
- Monitor and track your results and data – Of the strategies you implement, you need to know the ones which work and the ones which do not work. The sooner you have this system in place to track and monitor results and data, the better. You can use a spread sheet, Google Analytics or any other software that you feel comfortable with – as long as you get the job done.
Apart from the above-mentioned points, there are few more tactics you can use:
- Optimize for rich answers
- Focus on improving user experience
- Speed up your site
- Insert more images
- Add keywords to videos and images
SEO is an on-going practice. Take baby steps and start off with a sound strategy which will translate into online success in the years to come. Constantly maintain and improve your SEO to keep the rankings up.